Saturday, December 8, 2018

Anniversary blessings at Xin Jun Temple

My Shaolin brothers, sisters and I climbed the steep hill on a balmy Saturday morning to join in the annual festivities at the Xin Jun Miao in Penang, Malaysia. There would be a feast, raucous lion & dragon dancing, energetic kung fu demonstrations, and compassionate blessings from the Chief of the Temple. It wasn't my first time to visit temple, but it was the most auspicious occasion.

We had arrived late in the morning, but still prior to the ceremony. This allowed us the chance to make our offerings of Joss Sticks - incense - to the many Deities. One begins by offering three to the God of Wealth, as he is the main benefactor of the temple. Then, one proceeds by offering thanks and wishes with one incense stick to each of the others. 

Alter to the God of Wealth at  Xing Jun Miao.

Xin Jun is short for 'Yu Feng Zhi Fu Cai Bo Xin Jun', the 'God of Wealth and Prosperity in Chinese mythology. This temple was established in 1978 after a star descended from the sky. At this time, Xin Jun was given an official decree by The Jade Emperor God of Heaven to begin a mission. This mission was to bring together Deities, Buddha, Taoists, and other Gods with their disciples to awaken their full capabilities, promote kindness and love in man, and thus contribute to the salvation of mankind. Master Phoe was chosen to found and build this temple in the shadow of Kek Lok Si Buddhist Temple. This 40-year anniversary for the temple brought devotees together from across Malaysia and the World, celebrating its efforts to enable us to attain enlightenment and ascend to heaven together.  This is the third location for the temple, as it has grown through the years.

Being of the Chinese Zodiac metal monkey and having been practicing the kung fu staff, I felt a particular affinity to the monkey king - Sun Wukong. His vestibule his high in the jungle, behind the main body of the temple. It seemed many did not make it up to his area because it had so few incense sticks. I had the bright idea of making up for this and contributed a handful. After coming down, a local smiled and told me the gods don't need extra sticks. Such flattery doesn't help. Instead, they listen with their full attention to earnest and grateful pleas. I learned a valuable lesson. Keep that in mind when you make your prayers. 

Statue on the alter to Sun Wukong - the Monkey King.
Coming down from the Monkey King's pagoda, I found several long-time members who were curious about me. What country had I come from? What was my background? Had I joined the temple? Upon learning I'd come along with some Shaolin brothers who were temple members, one member was eager to demonstrate his kung fu medical training. He demonstrated a Dim Mak by fingering pressure points and turning my left hand numb. He could hit it and I didn't feel pain! He jokingly told me he had to be merciful as he quickly tapped different pressure points to release the lock. Pressure quickly built back up in my arm and I could again feel and move my hand freely. Everyone laughed and they welcomed us to join in the festivities.


Soon after, the festivities began in earnest and were announced with a string of ear piercing fireworks. Smoke arose as thousands of cracks forced everyone's attention. A local troop performed both a lion and a dragon dance to bring luck and prosperity to those participating in the celebrations. I had never witnessed these activities in person, so I watched in awe as the children danced in costume in the sweltering heat. After their dances, they took their dragons and lions to each of the alters and offered thanks and gifts.

Dragon tour for bringing luck and prosperity to our celebrations.
After a time, my Shaolin brother took to the main stage. He had been honored to receive Kung Fu training from the temple master and today he would demonstrate his form. Drums and symbols beat a manic beat, while he moved through breath taking stances of the staff and hand forms. As a friendly courtesy, the rest of the Shaolin troop was welcomed on stage to perform their own kung fu sets. Each of of my brothers and sisters performed well and ended with a traditional Shaolin salute of respect.
Flawless Kung Fu demonstration on the main stage.
With the end of the dances and demonstrations, the event was open to all. The feast began while many queued to receive their blessings from the Chief of the Temple. As special guests, my Shaolin brothers, sisters and I were ushered near the front of the line. We sat on our knees in front of the main temple, while the Chief of the Temple sat on a chair in front of our group of twenty or so. He said a blessing in a language I could not understand and then made a dragon form with his hand. He moved his hand in a pattern I could not distinguish, but still pointed to each of us - one by one. His eyes moved quickly, while he pulsed out a long and continuous breath. I heard a "shhhhhhhhh" as air left his mouth and I felt an intense energy in my torso. It was a beam of electricity and heat within my chest and abdomen, I felt the blessing move through me. My mind went calm and I felt energized. A smile spontaneously covered my face and I felt at peace. The priest continued with everyone in my party.

After which, we were taken to walk under a tiny bridge of prosperity. We crawled on our hands and knees under a statue and got up to given ice cream. Our hosts smiled at us and invited us to join in the feast. The best part was the freshly roasted whole boar, with its juicy meat and crispy skin. It was so good I had to get a second helping. While we ate, everyone thanked us for coming and invited us back again.


Walking away, I felt a deep joy and calm happiness.  I cannot describe the full effects of the blessing, nor can I attest that it has changed my life.  I can say that I felt something quite special that brought me comfort and joy.  I was left curious and motivated to explore healing, prayer and miracles.  Finally, I felt grateful for a first hand experience with the miraculous. 

Have you experienced similar events? 

Please share your stories in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment